Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I Like Animal Crackers

It's true.

I like Animal Crackers.

They taste good. They're fun. They're decently healthy, too, for a snack.

And you get sixteen of them in a serving! Sixteen whole crackers. That's a lot!

I mention this because Rachel and I have decided that we need to lose more weight. We both lost quite a bit in the last year (you'd have to ask her how much she lost, and all I know for sure is I dropped from a 44 to a 38 pant size), but neither of us are happy with where we are. We want to go further, we need to go further.

So, we decided that while we're working on really watching our finances and using a budget in a real manner, and all the other stuff Dave Ramsey advocates, we might as well use the same basic principles to work in our diets, as well. Budget out our food.

And the easy thing is, someone already laid out a blue print. We just have to follow it. And the blue print is super easy to follow. It's called "serving size".

We're fairly certain we can market this as a new diet and make a killing on it. We'll sell a book along with cooking attachments. Like a blue cup (that coincidentally is half a cup) that you use to make rice for one person. And a green cup (that coincidentally is the exact same size as the blue cup) that you use to make pasta for one person. And a multiplication chart, telling you that you need to use the cup x number of times to feed x number of people.

And while I'm at it, I figured I'd work on improving my overall health, since physical health is only part of the picture. I figure I'll take the advice of Dr. Fuller (the chair of Mathematics at ONU when I graduated): you need to make sure you do at least one thing in each of six areas every day. The six areas are career, mental exercise, physical exercise, spiritual exercise, fun, chore. And, there can be no overlapping (i.e. I went to Journey, walked around and talked, and discussed is spiritual growth, not physical, spiritual, mental, fun, and chore all in one). Sounds simple, but I'm convinced that if I really make an effort every day to do something from each category, I'll be healthier, happier, and probably wealthier.

Also think I'm going to resolve to set aside more time for reading. I blogged a few blogs back about a big queue line for books, but I don't schedule time for it. I just do it when I don't have anything else to do. And it's a shame, because I'm not going to finish my current book (I want to be Left Behind, by Ted Noel) before it's due back at the Library Thursday. Oh well, at least I already have another book out to read! (The Four Loves, by C. S. Lewis)

Also, I need to blog more. I only blogged four times last month. And I, for one, think that was far too infrequent.

No comments: