Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fiction

I guess sometimes you just need a break from reality.

Last night I got one of those. On television and in my reading.

Last night was the return of my favorite summer show, Last Comic Standing. I didn't watch season 1, but I've been hooked on it ever since. The trainwreck auditions are nowhere near as funny as the American Idol trainwrecks, but it's worthwhile for the funny people who don't make a single cut, because sometimes they have really good lines.

Also, started a new book last night. As much as I love reading deep, challenging theological stuff, sometimes I just need a break from reality. Something to entertain my brain, not challenge it.

So, I returned my "The Four Loves" copy to the library and picked up Betrayal, the first book in the new Star Wars "Legacy of the Force" series. Should be an interesting read, since I'm spoiled on the major events that have happened so far during the series.

Anyone have any other suggestions for summer TV shows? Or for good fiction? I'm really looking for fiction that is easily parlayed into theology (I know ... mixing fiction with my desire for deep, challenging stuff), but isn't mainstream (i.e. no LotR, Eragon, Harry Potter, etc).

2 comments:

Chad B. said...

C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy
1.Out of The Silent Planet
2.Perelandria
3. That Hidious Strength

I have copies you can borrow let me know

Jenette said...

Have you ever read any of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? What about anything by Neil Gaimon?