Saturday, August 23, 2008

Is There Something Wrong With Me?

So, Rachel and I just finished watching "The Golden Compass" on DVD.

This might not seem newsworthy, until I give you a little bit of back story.

I'd never read the novel(s) it was based upon, and when I saw ads for it when it was given a big theatrical release, it didn't really appeal to me at all. It seemed to be the sort of movie that I'd only watch if I happened to be around other people watching it. And, no longer living in a fraternity house, those days are, for the most part, behind me.

And then, a few weeks ago, I got pointed to a web site run by some Mega-Righteous Christian Group which completely denounced the movie (and books) as anti-God, anti-Christianity, and a great danger for children to watch, as it surely would lead them down a path of a godless life and into eternal destruction. And I think I'm toning down their hyperbole a bit. Only I don't think they thought it was hyperbole.

So, after reading that, I decided I had to see the movie. Not because I thought the plot looked overly interesting. Not because I particularly liked the actors in the movie. Not, really, because of any element of the movie itself.

But because I wanted to see what these ultra-righteous Christian groups were going on about.

And, I tend to think it's much ado about nothing.

And I hope they make the sequels.

No comments: