Saturday, August 26, 2006

Open Wounds


How could you, how could you, how could you hate me?
When all I ever wanted to be was you?
How could you, how could you, how could you love me?
When all you ever gave me were open wounds?


This Skillet song has been stuck in my head recently, specifically the chorus (quoted above). It's so easy to remember the times people we've loved and emulated have given back to us something much less than love, even approaching hate. It's easy to remember the open wounds we have from those we've loved and trusted, those we still love, and those whom we believed love(d) us.

It's also pretty easy, for me, to remember the open wounds I gave Jesus. The way I try to say I want to emulate him, and sometimes live a completely different lifestyle. The way I say I love him, yet do the same things that helped to lead to those open wounds in the first place.

It's harder for me to recognze the open wounds I'm giving to those around me. Harder for me to recognize the love I'm ignoring from thsoe around me.

It's a lesson God is teaching me now. I just hope I can learn it, and with His help, heal my open wounds, and create far, far fewer.

No comments: