Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Issues, Part 1

Well, they're counting up votes in New Hampshire which brings me one step closer to actually participating in the process. So let's start going down the chart on the issues.

Roe v. Wade

To the surprise of just about nobody who reads this blog, I'm in support of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade. But I don't want a national ban on abortions. Because, also to the surprise of no one who reads my blog, I think this should be a state issue. And that the Federal government should pass no law or uphold no ruling that on a federal level legalizes or bans abortion.

Having said that, Roe v. Wade, and abortion in general, are not Presidential issues for me. The President of the United States will not be deciding in any certain way if the decision is overturned or if an federal laws are passed or not. At best, the next President will have an indirect say by appointing judges to the Supreme Court and to lower courts. And that issue is something to debate and look for in a President. But it goes beyond abortion, and into strict interpretation vs. bench legislation.

The Death Penalty

I'm in favor of a legalized death penalty. Not because I want it used, but because I want it as an option in determent from crime and negotiation with criminals. I recognize that statistical studies show that it either does or doesn't work as a deterrent depending on the study, but I happen to believe it does.

As an issue, I see it again as a state issue, with two exceptions. I believe the Federal Government should have the right to execute an offender regardless of state law if the offender is convicted of (attempted) Terrorism or Treason.

Another issue that's not important in my long-term scheme of choosing a President.

No Child Left Behind

My actual opinion on NCLB is that the Department of Education should be abolished, and replaced with a system looking more like it belongs in a confederacy.

But I recognize that this won't happen.

So with that in mind, I'd prefer a candidate who wants to keep NCLB in place, but give it a major overhaul. Send more help (not punishments) to struggling schools, give the states a larger (but more accountable) say in the measurements, and allow for voucher options.

More than that, however, I really want a candidate with an honest, good plan to help our educational system. Education is the backbone of America, as it will create the next generation that will lead us into glory or destruction. As long as your plan is well thought out, doesn't impose unfair taxes, and will honestly move us forward, I think I can support you on this issue.

Embryonic Stem Cells

Here's my stance very simply (and it's quite the conservative, small-government stance):

  • No federal funding for stem cell research
  • Private sector funds
  • If the President and/or Congress feel it's an important issue, allow tax-based incentives for corporations, institutions and individuals who do prominent work in research


Seems common sense to me. Haven't heard that from any politicians in the race, though.

Energy and Oil

This is one of the three biggest issues in my opinion. The United States needs to become energy independent. And not at the cost of bankrupting our food supply.

We need to drill for oil where we have it in our great nation. We need to tap into the reserves we have. We need to provide tax-incentives for companies to develop hybrids electric cars, alternative fuel sources, and the such.

We need to open up energy trade with any nation that will trade with us. This especially includes Canada!

We need to move towards more Nuclear power.

Above all, we need to become energy independent, if only because remaining dependent on other countries, especially in the Middle East, keeps us susceptable to foreign policy rules from other countries and makes us slaves, of a sort, to foreign rulers. We need to stay out of Kyoto, but be mindful of the energy movements around the world to keep our fingers on the heartbeat of innovation.

Gun Ownership

Get ready to see the conservative, constitutionalist side of me many of you don't see very often.

There should be no ban on any type of weapon. Not assault weapons, not semi-automatic, not automotic, not tanks.

None.

The right to bear arms in this country is not about protection against other citizens. Is not about the ability to hunt. It's about the ability to protect ourselves against a government gone bad. And we can't truly have that right if we don't have the proper arms. What are basic pistols and hunting weapons going to do against a rogue government?

But, at the same time, I don't believe the right to own a gun remains for certain members of our population. Those who have committed gun crimes, should lose the right for a long time, if not permanently, subject to a court judgment on a case-by-case basis. Ditto for those who have committed violent or especially heinous crimes. It is a right you lose when you lose the trust of the people around you to safely use that right.

So put me down for no restrictions on weapon sales, but yes on background checks and the such.


And that'll do it for now. That's about half of them. We'll do another look at issues, and then a look at the candidates, and then I'll probably do a final post endorsing my chosen candidate, as well as those I'd be most happy to see if he doesn't get the nomination.

I'd also love to hear other comments about these issues, as I believe the beauty of America and democracy is the free exchange of ideas.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

It's hard to know how to respond since both this post and the next are so long, but here goes...

Preface- I am more donkey than elephant and you know that :)

Roe V. Wade- I get the 'states rights' end of the argument and I agree, not a presidential issue. My opinion--just try to touch it :) Clearly, any Supreme Court appointment can shift the balance of power on this and well, those decision tend to be awfully politically motivated.

Captial punishment- most days for me? Get rid of it. I did think that there was a large racial bias to execution, but the 2006 stats at the Department of Justice wouldn't support that argument. But, I am a Biblical pacifist, so the threat of death for offenders doesn't seem all that 'gospel' to me.

Gun Ownership- I think 2nd amendment quoting is one of the most tired arguments in the arena. To me, it reeks of old guard entitlement and it feels like I'm talking to my boy. Why do you want a gun? Because I just allowed to! Sorry, not good enough. People who are sincerely into collecting and/or hunting ought to be okay with a few more hoops to jump through in the interest in protecting the rest of us. And I don't mean guns...

That's all I can remember...