Thursday, May 24, 2007

Books

I wasn't much of a reader when I was young. At least, not when I got beyond the "very young" stage. I blame Nintendo, mainly, to be honest. Once I had that to compete for my free time, along with living in a big town with three major professional sports teams and a minor league team in the other "big" sports league, reading books for pleasure never seemed to win out.

That's changed recently. I've begun reading for pleasure, spiritual enhancement, community enhancement, job enhancement, and a score of other reasons. I've recently read:

NUTS! is the story of the start of Southwest Airlines, and how they succeeded with unconventional means against stacked odds. Read it as a suggestion from an experienced salesman, as a newly hired commission salesman. Pretty good read. The Little Red Book of Selling is a must read for any new-to-the-job salesman, so I obviously read it for that reason. Running with the Giants is a book I heard about from the pastor at JZ's memorial service (during the service), and deals with leadership and encouragement from Old Testament "giants of faith". A very easy read, and one I'm probably going to do a STE book study on in the next year.

Currently, I'm reading: I Want to Be Left Behind. It's a very dry read, focusing on logic and detail throughout, while exploring the possibility (probability) that Jerry Jenkins and Tim LeHaye have misread prophesy. A very good read so far, but not an easy read. I'd recommend it to anyone wondering if modern scholars might be misinterpreting the return of the Messiah, in the way scholars of the day of Jesus misinterpreted what their Messiah would be.

I've got a pretty long queue list of things I'm waiting to read. I've got a hold in for Sex God the newest book by Rob Bell. Unfortunately, there are still seven people ahead of me on the library waiting list for it. How sad for me, no?

I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on No Perfect People Allowed. Unfortunately, it seems my library doesn't realize this book exists. So, I need to find it another way.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to doing some purely pleasure reading. I really want to read some of the newer Star Wars novels, like the new Legacy series, starting with Betrayal, and I'd also love to read Path of Destruction, a novel about Darth Bane.

And, of course ... I'm always looking for suggestions of books to read in any category I mentioned above, and any other category that could be worthwhile. Got any suggestions?

1 comment:

Ryan said...

dude...

I have both Sex God and No Perfect People...

You're welcome to either...