Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Faith

So, my last post mentioned not wanting to have a "faith" that if we just pray/do good things/hope enough, that things will get done. And since I posted it, the idea of faith has been on my mind and my heart.

Not faith as I've ever thought of it before.

Faith in man.

I know, I know ... it sounds like a bizarre thing to want to have. Man is stupid, imperfect, continually lets others down. God is all-knowing, perfect, and always there.

Yet, I think we are called, as followers of Christ, to let others have faith in us.

I think it's all part of the fully-God, fully-human thing Jesus pulled off. He showed us that someone who was fully human could live a life such that we could have faith in that person.

How did he do it?

He met people where they were.
He invested his time into real answers, not superficial catch phrases.
He did as he taught.
He balanced challenging authority when it was necessary, with respecting authority when it was required.
He established credibility with people, before he asked them to take on tasks.

None of these are things we, as human followers of Christ, cannot do. There are people in my life daily who do these things, and challenge me to do the same.

So why can't we have faith in man?

2 comments:

Ryan said...

you know, as Christians, we're in a constant state of being asked to invest in people. we invest ourselves in others...and it's a very high risk thing to do.

I don't think it's crazy to have faith in people. It's important that we have faith that God is able to pull His goodness out of the depths of one's soul.

It's maybe a matter of trust in God more than it's having faith in people. Any way you slice, there's a high risk involved, but as we know often it's the highest reward...

Dri said...

So true. The best moments in life happen when we have faith in the people around us and they step up to the high expectations we have of them. I can't imagine how lifeless and sad my life would be if I was always skeptical of the people around me.

Jesus wasn't skeptical of the goodness in people. He knew it was there and drew it out... and people loved him and gave up their lives for him because of his faith in them as well as their faith in him.