Friday, December 08, 2006

We have good friends

So, yesterday, I'm at home working on a few things (chief among them, I believe, was Kansas clinching the Big 12 North title on my current season of NCAA Football 2005 for the Nintendo Gamecube with a thrilling come-from-behind 36-35 victory over rival and then-#5 Missouri), and Rachel calls to talk to me about Small Group. Our Small Group meets on Thursday evenings, but a few of our members had other obligations last night, and it was supposed to be myself and my wife, Terry and his wife, and Karen.

Karen had a scheduling mishap, which was what Rachel was calling to tell me. So that left us with a choice, to either cancel group for the evening, or just have a really small group with just the two couples. I thought it would be good to see Terry and Caddie, but we ultimately left it up to them.

A call came while Rachel was still at job #3, and Caddie asked that we refrain from eating supper until Small Group, so we could have a meal together. So that was fine, as we usually don't have time to eat until after Small Group anyways. What happened next completely blew me away.

The door bell rang at about 6:15, and Terry stood on our door with a box, and asked the simply question "do you have room in your fridge for a ham?" I could only mutter a simple yes, as astonishment took over my mind at the love being shown to us in this simple and small way. This was followed by a trip around the back roads of Findlay to Tony's Restuarant, a local place, where Terry and Caddie treated Rachel and I to dinner (mmm ... steak sub was excellent, and Rachel tells me the chicken pot pie soup was, too).

As dinner was wrapping up, they asked if we had any plans. Rachel's big plan was to catch up on some of the ironing, and my big plan was to watch the Browns-Stillers game. Terry mentioned that if those weren't too pressing, they'd enjoy treating us to a viewing of "The Nativity Story" at the theatre. Blown away again by generosity and love, Rachel and I accepted, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the movie.

We have such great friends. And such a great God who has put us in position to live life with them. I literally was crying today as I was driving and reflecting on the agape shown to us last night. Love given without any expectation of a return. Thank you Terry, thank you Caddie, and thank you God.



Oh, and for those of you who have been praying about this, I have an announcement to make ...

I Have A Job!!!


No comments: