Sunday, December 17, 2006

Isn't There A Line?

Santa Claus, kneeling, his eyes fixed upon the baby Jesus.

The head of Santa Claus, on a pole.

A Helicopter, propeller moving, carrying Santa Claus.

Two snowpeople who appear to be ... attempting to create a third through natural methods.

A giant snowman, standing in a balcony, hands stretched out like the Pope giving an imporant address to the people.

What do these things have in common?


... I'll give you a moment to ponder your answer



...



...



...



got a guess?


...



...



...




If you guessed "Things scene in Northwest Ohio in people's front yards" you win!!!!

"Elf Puke" has simply gone too far. And has stopped making sense. I love houses who compiment their beauty with simple white lights on their porch, or even running across their house. I love a nice display in a front yard that is well done. I really enjoy driving down the street and seeing a wonderful and festive display.

What I don't get are people who feel the need to cram a decoration on every square inch of their property. People who mix and match with no need or desire for a theme. People who spends what i have to estimate at thousands of dollars in lighting bills (not to mention the cost of the decorations themselves).

Isn't there a line? Isn't there a point where common sense should kick in?

How I hope that I never join these people in elf puking my house. I've decided to enact a "Betts Law" (think man law, only ... just me and Rachel). Any external decorations we buy and put up, we have to give matching time and money to a charity.

I hope that will keep us from losing our senses and going overboard on the decorations.

No comments: