Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Global Warming

As those of you who know me probably know, I'm really not down with the whole "Go Green to help stop Global Warming" thing. Not because I don't think we're called to be stewards of the planet, and not because I don't think conservation in general isn't a good thing. Rather, because I don't think Global Warming is a real thread, and rather as I believe it's a hoax made up by using computer models as the only "proof", I see it as a political tool used to create an end you wouldn't otherwise get without this fear inducing machine.

Hope that was clear.

Anyways, today on the Drudge Report, there are two headlines about Global Warming that caught my attention.

The first is an article about Carbon Belch Day, scheduled for June 12th. Now, I laugh at this, because I've joked about similar things. I joke about buying a coal-powered toaster, and I get a real kick out of Evil Conservative Industries. But I draw the line at actually wasting energy just to waste energy. It's stupid, it's expensive, and it really does nothing but hurt the cause you wish to help. Of course, if you have the money to do so, then by all means go for it.

But think about what you're promoting: wasting energy. Energy we have to get, at the moment, from, at best, shaky allies. Because our country is not energy independent, and is, in fact, very far from being so. So, yes, we can waste all our energy, and fall deeper into debt and get into more and more alliances with these shaky allies, or we can conserve for a good reason: to buy ourselves time to become energy independent and therefore increase national prosperity and national security, two things I bet the group organizing this "Belch Day" are usually passionately in favor of. And that's besides the actual ethical reasons to conserve.

I'm always frustrated by people who can't see past the end of their nose. People who do things because it furthers point A, even if it hurts them in their causes for points B through Z, when point D is the most important in the long-term scheme of things.

So what would be a better way to get the point out that we're sick of being told Global Warming (or Climate Change, if you prefer) is a fact that we have to battle or face certain peril?

Well, I much prefer the second article, where the Czech President wants to have a simple debate with Al Gore about the facts.

Imagine that? A Public forum with both sides of an argument presented. And then letting the public decide based on evidence. What a revolutionary idea.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go take care of the things around the house that I have to change for the real Global Warming coming to my city in the near future: Summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's people like you who are going to destroy the Earth. I bet your carbon footprint is the size of the golly green giant....I guess you are alright with paying $4 plus for gas

Anonymous said...

yeah, what he or she said...

you probably hate Jesus too, you freaking locust!