Monday, August 27, 2007

The Surreal Life

No, not the craptastic VH1 television show.

My life. The past week. It's honestly been surreal. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. A city underwater. A river reaching near-record levels (depending on what measurement you trust). My city on the national news night and day, the lead story on every Toledo newscast.

And yet, I was only inconvenienced by it. The street we live on flooded on Tuesday and was not drivable.
It dried up by Wednesday morning. I couldn't work because the roads connecting to mine were closed, under emergency orders and the such, but that was only an inconvenience, not a threat to myself, my belongings, or my future.

I'd read in the newspaper that the city looked similar to New Orleans after Katrina. I didn't believe it, because it didn't look that way when I peered out the window. It wasn't until I saw the aerial shots (as shown above) that the actual impact of the flood started to hit.

But it still doesn't feel like it happened in my city. Findlay feels too small to have such an impactful thing happen and not really impact me. And yet, I know it happend. It just doesn't feel like it. It just seems so ... surreal.

No comments: