Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Internet and The Church

So, recently, I was catching up on Mark Cuban's Blog (one of my personal favorites to read), and he made some good points (as he almost always does). He talked about how the internet hasn't changed, simply the hardware and the price of the hardware we use to connect to the internet has. It's not that there's been a new discovery of ways to use the internet, it's that it's cheaper to do websites like YouTube, and more common to have homes with high speed internet.

And I couldn't help but think that the church is much the same way. Our God hasn't changed. But our means of communications, and the technology and methods we can use have. But are we? Are we using what's developing around us?

Can you imagine how foolish someone would sound if they said "I refuse to use YouTube, because it wasn't around when I bought my first computer"??? Yet, how many times do people in churches (myself included) do similar things? And, often times, it's not a matter of stepping out of our comfort zones, it's a matter of merging our comfort zones. Letting our "Christian" side mesh with the "rest" of us.

And what's the problem with that? Why can't we use what we know about Star Wars, to try to explain God? Why can't we do a combination bible study football game party? Why can't we create "Christian" YouTubes and broadcast them (or video capture the pastor's message and YouTube that???)?

What is it about our faith that makes us want to segregate it?

I just don't get it.

I want to integrate, from here on out.

No comments: