Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Weddings

I love weddings.

And for a variety of reasons. I love to watch two people commit to a life of commitment to each other. I love to sit next to my wife and be reminded of the vows we took almost two years ago. I love to see old friends, and hear catch-up stories from people I haven't seen in months or years. I love being able to impart some of my new-found advice and "wisdom" and I absolutely love dancing with my wife.

We attended a wedding this past Saturday. I believe this was the first wedding we attended within driving distance of our actual home since we got married! Normally, we end up driving back to Columbus to stay with my mother-in-law for the night (she's a nice half-way stop between Pittsburgh and Findlay!), or we just stay with her for the entire weekend, since a couple of weddings are in Columbus. I mention this only because it gave Rachel and I a chance to reflect on weddings and have a good, serious discussion. And I think we came to the conclusion that we love weddings not because of the event itself, but because of the future it holds. We've seen first-hand the empowering nature of being with your spouse, and how it can improve your life spiritually, physically, emotionally, and so on. And not just your life, but the lives of those around you. Without my wife enabling me, I wouldn't be able to serve Sigma Theta Epsilon as a National Officer, and without my enabling of her, she wouldn't be able to serve on the board of our local Chrysalis. Neither of us, let alone both of us, would be involved with the planning of the new emergent worship service at our church, and, more likely, neither of us would probably even be involved at St. Marks!

As a result, we've started a prayer calendar. We've got five categories in some kind of progressive list, and each day we pray specifically for the designated entry in each category. The categories are STE (Chapters and Officers), Married Friends, Family, St. Marks (our church), and our Activities. I believe this will be a powerful tool to see God moving in each of these areas, and strengthening those around us, and those whom we love.

Yes, I love weddings. But I love the power of prayer more.

No comments: