Friday, July 21, 2006

A Boy and His Beard

Yes, yes, the rumors are true. My beard is no more. Let us walk down memory lane ... together

The last long stretch of time I went without my beard was the first summer I worked at
Camp Echoing Hills. They had a "no beard policy", and I stuck to it. This was, of course, the Summer of 2002.

After Camp, the beard and I were on-again, off-again, notibly off at the Kappa Phi Fall Formal of 2002, I was beardless, and my date was Rachel (although I still thought she hated me at that point in time).

The beard was there to stay starting around Thanksgiving 2002 (spent at the Kettelsens'). From that point forward, though it had differing sizes, the beard never left my side. Here is a highlight list of the things I did while having my beard

While in the passenger seat of a car, had the car I was in take out a mailbox.
Started dating Rachel
Became President of the Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Theta Epsilon.
Met Dave Burden.
Attended my first Conclave (Conclave 2003 in St. Louis)
Was the best man at a wedding (Davebob!)
Worked another summer at Camp (so much for that no beard policy, eh?)
Lavaliered Rachel.
Helped my mother move to West Virginia.
Got engaged to Rachel.
Received the worst phone call of my life.
Watched my grandfather pass away from Cancer.
Got accepted into graduate school at BGSU.
Attended my Second Conclave (2004 in St. Louis).
Got elected National Secretary of Sigma Theta Epsilon.
Graduated from ONU.
Married Rachel.
Started graduate classes at BGSU.
Buried my grandmother (last remaining grandparent).
Got a teaching assistantship at BGSU.
Took my first plane trip (Conclave 2005 in Memphis)
Took summer courses for the first time.
Took my honeymoon in Denver.
Got a single-digit score on an exam for the first time. (yes, out of 100)
Attended Conclave 2006 (Indy, got reelected as Secretary).
Took a leave-of-absence from BGSU.


And that's just a chronological bullet-point of many highlights. Not even all of them. It was a crazy, fun couple of years with my beard. I have so many friends seeing me for the first time without a beard, and it's a very wierd experience. Even my wife's grandmother (with whom I am very close) didn't recognize me at first without my beard.

And now, I move forward ... sans beard ... the end of an era.

Tyler's Beard: Thanksgiving 2002 - Father's Day 2006.

1 comment:

Chad B. said...

We shall all miss the beard that was...