Friday, October 17, 2008

Something of my own, to look forward to

I don't add a "must-see TV show" to my list very often, nor very easily. Truth be told, outside of sports, most of what I watch on a regular and must-see basis comes to be that way because Rachel really enjoys it, and I start to like certain aspects of the show, and it becomes a show "we" watch faithfully as must-see TV.

Gilmore Girls was like this.

Survivor was like this.

The Office is like this.

Well ... finally, there's something that I have as my own must-see TV show.



And ... I think I finally like it because I enjoy the show itself, and not just because it's Star Wars.

See ... the show premiered as a movie pilot of three episodes strung together. And, I enjoyed the movie, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it only because it was Star Wars. That is, if you remove all the Star Wars-stuff and replaced it with non-SW stuff and told the exact story with similar dialogue, plot, and jokes ... I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all.

But ... with the episodes, I think, *think*, it's growing past that. And I'm enjoying them for what they are, not just for being part of the larger Star Wars Universe.

So ... if you've ever enjoyed Star Wars ... if you loved the classic trilogy, but struggled through the Prequels, if you hate the Expanded Universe, if you loved the prequels ... whatever your classification is, I think you need to give this TV show a chance. It captures the feel of the original Star Wars, with the action of the new Star Wars, and it makes me feel like a kid again, where I can get wrapped up in the action and the (often predictable) story, and just have a good time enjoying myself for half an hour each week, with not worries about what's happening in real life.


And, perhaps best of all, in the three weeks of the show, I don't think I've seen a single political ad. Hope I didn't jinx it.

No comments: